Tuesday, November 10, 2009

little fish

a last minute costume choice for my three-year-old was an orange fish. orange. no other colors, just orange.

given that i had a week, of course i searched the stores and internet first. no luck. so one monday afternoon we made the drive to town and prayed for fabric luck. i found some cozy orange fleece that made me smile and most importantly, made the three-year-old smile. passing down the isle some glints of shiny blue caught my eye and i thought it needed to be incorporated. yes, i broke the monotone orange rules. just a teensy bit though.

i went without a pattern and just made a sample from some muslin i had in my closet. it took me less than 5 hours to do the entire costume and i was really pleased with it. gage looked (and felt) awesome!

the trickiest part for sure was attaching the lips to the rest of his head. i ended up hand stitching that part but even that wasn't all that bad. i have this burning desire to make more and try different colors and fabrics.

anyone want to place an order for next year?!

8 comments:

  1. Seriously its soo cute! I might just have to have you make Mr.Kellin a fishy for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! this is so incredibly cute! you are so talented! i wish i had maybe just one creative bone in my body, but i dont.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am borrowing your fish costume idea for inspiration for costumes for The Little Mermaid play. Can you shed any light on how to do the fin? What is inside the fin to make it stand out like that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much 4 a goldfish costume to fit a 20month old

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to buy the body of this (and I'll make a googly eye headband). Are you taking orders this year?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Are you still making this costume for this year?

    ReplyDelete